Also known as Quilon or Desinganadu, Kollam is the center of the country’s cashew export. The city boasts a mix of alluring natural beauty and rich history. During the ancient times, Kollam was a famous trade center, while its port was frequented by Persians, Phoenicians, Arabs, Romans, and Chinese. Also, well known explorers like Ibam Batuta and Marco Polo have noted the prominence of Kollam as a trade town in their writings! Today, Kollam, the gateway to Kerala’s magnificent backwaters, boasts a plethora of attractions for nature lovers. The eight-hour boat trip between Kollam and Alappuzha is the longest and most charming journey on the backwaters of Kerala.
Top Reasons to Visit Kollam
- To witness the jaw-dropping beauty of Palaruvi Waterfalls.
- To visit Ashtamudi Lake, the most visited lake and backwater in the state.
- To visit Mayyanad boasting some of the oldest temples of Kollam.To
- explore Jatayu’s Earth Centre constructed to promote mythology and adventure tourism.
- To enjoy backwater cruises.