The history of Madurai goes back over 4,000 years. There are scores of temples in this city, among which Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple is the most popular one. It was constructed in the seventh century and is well known for its architectural brilliance. Seventeenth-century Gandhi Mandapam is a well-known travel attraction that now boasts numerous books about Gandhi. Samanar Hills is located in proximity to the Meenakshi Temple and has a first century cavern that was used by Jain priests. While on the trip to Madurai, one should not miss the scrumptious local cuisine.
Top Reasons to Visit Madurai
- To visit sacred Meenakshi Temple and its Thousand Pillar Hall where Lord Shiva is believed to have performed the dance of bliss.
- To visit Koodal Azhagar Temple that is regarded as one of the 108 celestial abodes of Lord Vishnu.
- To visit the Gandhi Museum and get a detailed account of the Independence struggle.
- To shop for bright tie and dyed cotton Sungudi sarees. One can also buy Golu dolls at the temple curio shops as well.
- To taste lip-smacking local food especially Murugan Idli Kadai.