Puri, one of the ancient cities you can’t miss, is located in the state of Odisha in Eastern India. It is aptly called the ‘Temple Town’, because its famous temple, Jagannath Temple, is one of the prominent pilgrimage places for Hindus. The city is also known for having the biggest kitchen on the planet. Moreover, 24 celebrations, including 13 noteworthy ones, are held each year in the temple premises. The old Konark Sun Temple and Markandeshwar Shiva Temple are the well-known ancient temples located here. Puri is also blessed with beautiful and serene seashores. The Balukhand-Konark Wildlife Sanctuary features sandy seashores, hills, cashew ranches, and forests of Casuarina trees. This protected area is home to Blackbuck and Olive Ridley Sea Turtles. The Sudarshan Crafts Museum boasts antique figures, a Japanese-style Buddhist temple, showroom, workshop, and a library. Chilika Wildlife Sanctuary is home to different exotic creatures and home to more than 200 species of fish. Nalbana Bird Sanctuary or Nalbana Island features a large number of migratory birds.
Top Reasons to Visit Puri
- To witness Jagannath Rath Yatra, a huge public procession in a chariot. It is held in the month of June/July.
- To visit the sacred Jagannath Temple, famous for its large kitchen.
- To explore the beautiful Puri Beach.
- To enjoy the lip-smacking cuisines of Odisha.
- To visit the ancient and unique Sun Temple in Konark, located in proximity to Puri.